Walgett Shire proudly offers all the ingredients for a great outback lifestyle – scenery, relaxation, recreation and revitalisation. It has an abundance of wildlife and flora on display, not to mention the spectacular sunrises and brilliant sunsets to open and close your day.
Walgett is the administrative centre of the shire which includes several towns and villages including Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri, Carinda, Burren Junction, Rowena, Grawin and Cumborah.
Located beside the Namoi River, near its junction with the Barwon River, Walgett offers country charm along with some of the facilities of a larger town. Walgett Shire offers a friendly relaxed lifestyle and there are many sporting and recreational facilities available.
Many people living in Walgett take advantage of the proximity of the Narran Lakes to watch the abundant birdlife and the hot Artesian bore bath is popular with locals and tourists.
Walgett Shire invites you to come and ‘love the life we live’ where genuine country hospitality awaits.
The Walgett Shire has a population of 6,454 and covers an area of 22,000 square km in north west NSW. Walgett is located 277 km, or a three hour drive from Dubbo.
Commercial flights are available from Sydney to Dubbo and return daily. From Dubbo, there is the option to join the daily bus service to complete the journey. Flights are also available in to Moree, approximately 214km east of Walgett. Walgett is located 650km (or 8 hours’ drive) north west of Sydney, and 600km (or 7 hours’ drive) from Newcastle.
With the Walgett shire located on the productive black soil plains of New South Wales agriculture is the primary industry in the region. The Shire’s other major industry is opal mining, and the tourism associated with it through Lightning Ridge and the Opal Fields. Other industries for employment include health, education and training, public administration, and retail.
The climate is dry and warm, with average maximums around 35 degrees Celsius in summer, and minimums around 3 in winter. Average rainfall is less than 500mm.
The lifestyle in the Walgett Shire is friendly and relaxed. Unless you encounter a tractor or some wildlife on the highway you won’t have a problem with traffic.
Choose how busy you want to be while living here – participate in the huge list of local events on offer from sports, through to festivals, social events, and beyond. Or stay at home to be with the family, master that recipe, or complete that list of ‘must read’ books.
It’s your choice in the Walgett Shire, where we welcome people from all walks of life. Nearby Lightning Ridge is a town full of vibrancy where you will find residents from over 50 different nationalities.
Housing prices in Walgett range from $70,000 to $250,000 for a three-four bedroom home. The average rental three bedroom home ranges from $150-230 per week depending on the location and what the lessee is looking for.
Primarily you will find single storey homes, with some townhouses, all suited to young families or couples. The best part is the yard space you will have! Bring all the kids, the dogs, cats, chickens, and in some cases, even the horses!
Real estate agencies in the Walgett Region to approach for renting and buying:
- Landmark Walgett – 54 Fox Street Walgett NSW (02) 6828 1033
- Clemson Hiscox & Co – 82 Fox Street Walgett NSW (02) 6828 3444
- Kelly’s Property Sales – 51 Fox Street Walgett NSW (02) 6828 1045
- Ridge Real Estate – 48 Morilla Street Lightning Ridge NSW (02) 6829 0571
As is the case for many job seekers, unless employed with a particular agency (e.g. NSW Police, Department Education and Training, NSW Health), job seeking becomes much easier once you are in town and networking amongst the community. A large number of jobs are not generally advertised, or may be advertised locally and via social media. So keeping in touch with the local community helps when job searching.
The below websites frequently feature vacancies in the Walgett Region, and would be useful to keep an eye on:
- Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service
- Walgett Shire Council
- Walgett Special One Cooperative
Employment services in the Walgett Region:
- Walgett (02) 6828 2511 | email@example.com
- Lightning Ridge (02) 6829 4677 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walgett (02) 6828 1693 | email@example.com
- Lightning Ridge (02) 6829 4054 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see Our Jobs to view a full list of online resources for jobseekers.Our Jobs
Regional Education Facilities
Within the regional centre of Dubbo, only 3 hours’ drive from Walgett, access is available to a wide range of quality higher education and training through:
- Charles Sturt University
- School of Rural Health (the University of Sydney)
- Tafe NSW Western Institute
- Western College of Adult Education
Pre-Schools & Child Care
Burren Junction Pre-School
(02) 6796 1245
(02) 6756 2093
Coolibah Kids (Pre-School and Long Day Care Centre)
(02) 6828 3387 / 0409 165 981
Koolyangara Aboriginal Pre-School
(02) 6828 1759
Lightning Ridge Pre-School
(02) 6829 0626
Little Diggers Preschool and Child Care Centre
(02) 6829 2929
(02) 6796 5396
Walgett Primary School Pre-School (Birralegal)
(02) 6828 2841
Walgett Community College
Primary School: Kindergarten-Year 6
(02) 6828 1077
High School: Year 7-12
(02) 6828 1022
St Joseph’s Primary School Walgett
(02) 6828 1060
Lighting Ridge Central School
(02) 6829 0511
Collarenebri Central School
(02) 6756 2204 c
Burren Junction Public School
(02) 6796 1464
Carinda Public School
(02) 6823 2235
Rowena Public School
(02) 6796 5145
Bourke-Walgett School of Distance Education (BWSODE)
(02) 68 281 374
Tertiary and Vocational
TAFE Western – Walgett
(02) 6828 6200
TAFE Western – Lightning Ridge
(02) 6829 9800
In the Walgett Shire, you will find a wide range of services and facilities including:
- Hospitals / Multi Purpose Services in the three main towns (Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri)
- Medical centres and pharmacies in the three main towns
- Dentist in Lightning Ridge and Walgett
- Libraries in Lightning Ridge and Walgett, with book exchanges at Burren Junction, Carinda and Collarenebri
- Vet – Lightning Ridge and Walgett
- Accountant – Walgett
- Youth Centres in the three main towns, and PCYC in Walgett
- Banks in Walgett and Lighting Ridge
- Churches in Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri, Burren Junction, Carinda, Cryon, Rowena, and Cumborah.
Any services not available in the Walgett Shire are only a short trip away – a day trip to Narrabri (183km / 2 hours) or Dubbo (277km / 3 hours) is an easy drive, and will give access to any additional services.
For a full listing of services and their contact details, please see the Walgett Region Community Directory on Walgett Shire Council’s website – www.walgett.nsw.gov.au.
There are a variety of annual events in the Walgett region to keep you and the family busy, including the PJ O’Brien Memorial Race Meet, Walgett Bulldust to Bitumen Festival, Walgett District Show and mud trials. Walgett also holds quarterly markets.
- Lightning Ridge Easter Festival
- Walgett Bulldust to Bitumen Festival
- Rowena Cracker Night
- Come By Chance Picnic Races
Please visit www.walgett.nsw.gov.au/whats-on.aspx for a full list of upcoming events and information.
- Swimming pools (open during summer) – Burren Junction, Carinda, Collarenebri, Lightning Ridge, Walgett
- Hot Artesian bore baths in Burren Junction, Lightning Ridge and Walgett
- Aboriginal art gallery in Walgett
- John Murray art gallery in Lightning Ridge
- Opal shopping direct from the miner to the buyer in Lightning Ridge
- A range of sport across our three main towns, including rugby league, rugby union and cricket for men, netball for women and soccer and Little Athletics for kids
- Clubs in three main towns with bistros in each
- Chinese restaurant and café in Walgett
- Cafes and restaurants in Lightning Ridge.
For a full list of local attractions please visit: www.walgett.nsw.gov.au/tourism/things-to-see-and-do
To view all featured events see our regional events calendar.
Regional villages and towns
Lightning Ridge is 78km north of Walgett. Home of the black opal, here you will find a charismatic town, with no shortage of things to occupy yourself, including a cool down in our Olympic sized swimming pool and water theme park, a meal at one of our cafés and restaurants, a hot artesian bore bath, art galleries, bowling club and weekly markets. Or you can even get your own claim and fossick for opal for a living!
Lightning Ridge features events galore, including the Lightning Ridge Easter Festival (including race meet), Lightning Ridge Opal Festival and ARTober.
Collarenebri is located 75km north east of Walgett on the Gwydir Highway, and is known as the home of the cod. Make yourself at home here if you are after a quiet country town with good fishing. The town features a small supermarket, service station, hospital/multi purpose service, central school, and a handful of other small businesses.
Events in Collarenebri include the annual race meeting and mud trials.
Burren Junction is 92km east of Walgett along the Kamilaroi Highway. Agricultural industries of wheat, sheep and cattle sustain the surrounding community, and increasingly so with the expansion of the cotton industry. The Junction City Hotel offers regular entertainment and hearty meals, and the hot Artesian bore bath (located just out of town) is frequented by tourists. Burren Junction also features an annual Carp Muster each March, and celebrates other annual events, like Australia Day, locally.
Map of Walgett